Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Weight Loss and Self Esteem

Losing Weight Will Boost Your Self Esteem

Like many self confidence concepts, building self esteem is full of mumbo jumbo that has little practical value. Telling someone to have a firm hand shake, look people in the eye, or repeat “I’m somebody” over and over- just isn’t going to do it.

Trust me on this one, improving your self esteem takes action. Heathy self esteem comes from having confidence in your abilities. How do you develop confidence? From being comfortable in who you are and your abilities. How do develop abilities? They same way you get good at anything else in life, by working at it until you get it right. You don’t suddenly wake up one day with new self esteem. You work on the things that will make you feel good about yourself until your low self esteem gradually becomes high self esteem over time.

Let me share something with you that you will never hear from the warm and fuzzy crowd: You have to be willing to make changes. You can’t expect to keep living life like you’ve been living it, and have things change on their own. You have to take action to make them change.

If you want to boost your self confidence, you need to feel good about yourself and your abilities. And there’s no better place to start than how you feel about your physical appearance. Think about it. Do you ever see a professional athlete that’s trying to overcome low self esteem? If anything, these guys have too much self esteem!

Some of that natural self esteem might come from birth, but I guarantee you that improved self confidence was built from many hours of a hard work and training. This work gave them the foundation for increasing the self esteem they already had.

Let me share something with you that Arnold Schwarzenegger said that few people ever think about:

“Once you have the discipline to affect the shape of your body, you have the discipline to accomplish anything.”

Do you see the hidden key here to more self esteem? You start with the body, and the mind will follow. I call it getting a new body and new life. Would having the discipline to accomplish anything you set your mind to help you overcome low self esteem?

You bet it would!

Think about how few people you know that can control the shape of their body through proper diet and exercise. Just a fraction of the population- correct? Now tell me how you would feel about yourself if you knew YOU were one of those people. Think about any weight loss success story you’ve ever heard of. Did the person who succeed at that say life is the same- or are they totally stoked!

They say things like “I can’t believe my boost in self confidence and self esteem. I feel like a brand new person.”

The same thing happened to me. At age fourty-nine, I totally changed the shape of my body. I was the proverbial 90 pound weakling growing up. As I got older, I became a fat weakling. Then I took control of my body. And it did give me the discipline, courage, and self esteem to accomplish whatever I set my mind to. I quit my job and wrote a book about it. Now I travel and go on the radio giving interviewers and guidance on how anyone can have a new body and life. This is something that I never would of had the self esteem or self confidence to do before.

If I can do it, you can do it. Take control of your poor self esteem by transforming yourself physically first. All it takes is eating right and getting in some challenging exercise. Once you do this, I can promise you, a self esteem boost is right around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment